Monday, August 21, 2006

Feel Free To Just Skim This One

While I've been on my "I hate blogging" break, I've stored up many things in my pea brain that I feel the need to bitch about:
  • I read in People that many people (redundant) who had to abandon their pets during Katrina are trying to track them down now that they're back on their feet. The problem is that many other people adopted these "abandoned" pets and now refuse to give them back. I said this last year: a lot less people would have died if rescuers had allowed them to bring along their pets. I know that human lives are more important than animals' lives, but what an agonizing decision to leave your little babies behind to face a horrible death. I could cry right now thinking about it. Imagine these poor people who have lost everything, including their beloved animals. After months of searching they discover that their dog didn't die, but was rescued and adopted. Now imagine these other poor people who thought they were doing the right thing by taking in a rescued dog. It's been a year; of course they don't want to give him back. Nobody wins.
  • This JonBenet Ramsey thing? Bullshit. I am unqualified to comment on this since I haven't been keeping up with it, but I just don't think that guy did it.
  • Duvet covers are the devil's handiwork. Who thought of this? I accidentally bought one because the package said "duvet." "Duvet" and "duvet cover" are very different. I tried to put a lightweight comforter into it last night. I had to climb inside the actual cover to straighten it, and it was still lumpy. Then it was so heavy that I may as well have stuffed it with bricks. Then it slipped completely off the bed in the middle of the night and I woke up freezing. If only it weren't so pretty.
  • This blogging thing doesn't come easy anymore. The ideas and words just don't flow like they used to. I wish I didn't care about stats and comments, and I wish I didn't resent people who get hundreds and even thousands of hits each day who are not that interesting and/or can't spell. Please don't misinterpret this as a plea for anyone to beg me to keep blogging. I'm not one of those jerks who need reassurance or validation from the blogging community from time to time (I'm sure you've seen them). It's just a hobby; it's not a big deal.
  • Next month I'm going to my 15th high school reunion and turning 33. I'm not prepared for either one of these mentally. I don't even know how to begin.
  • I've started misspelling common words lately. For instance, I just spelled accidentally "accidently." The other day I was writing something by hand and had to think of an alternative to "necessarily" because I couldn't remember how to spell it. Is that a sign of age? It's one thing to have never known, but to just lose skills? I'm worried about my mental state.

14 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Since we just got off the phone (because you had to work, or some such nonsense), I figured I'll just talk to your blog.

1.) Katrina animals. Oh boy. I absolutely would have died b/c I never could have left my meeeee-so-reee (my cat, for those who don't know).

2.) JonBenet - I'm witcha.

3.) Duvet covers - I stopped with the one Pammy gave me (the plaid one...did you end up with it? I have no clue). I could have written the exact same post...never tried it again. I can't believe you got INSIDE the damn thing. When I come there next month, if I make you drink a lot, would you please recreate that whole episode for me?

4.) Blogging - Oh please don't stop. You are so pretty, and nice, and sweet, and funny. There, you know that was just a cry for attention.

Ha! Seriously, I hear you. I absolutely know that was not written as a pity party. i think the most infuriating (sp? see spelling info below) part of blogging is exactly like you said, watching people who literally post about their kids taking a crap (seriously...I shit you not) and getting 25 comments. Whatever.

I really do think more people read than you think.

5.) Praise the Lord, you're old. The months between Feb and Sept. are always the worst for me. At least Kasey's bday is in March. (Alicia, you can bite me too!) ; )

6.) It might could be age. BUT, did you know you can build new pathways, and shit? Seriously. I bet all those crosswords and sudoku (suduku?) help. Think of where you'd be without those!

I used to be so good at spelling...but not since I got sick a few years ago. It's like it all fell out of my brain.

12:24 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

I always have to climb inside the duvet. I know there has got to be a better way, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Don't worry about turning 33. Worry about turning 34.

I think you are stressing yourself out worring about turning 33 and the reunion which is why you are in a funk with the blog. I know you don't want comments like, "don't leave us!" but I'm serious. You need time.

I read that People magazine about the pets. It seems a lot of the homeless pets went to my former hometown in the Clearwater area. I'm appalled that they wouldn't give the pets back to the people who lost everything. It would be hard to give back a pet you grew to love, but I would feel extreme guilt if I didn't give it back.

I can't spell anymore either. I'm sure there are several spelling errors here even. I have no explanation for this phenomenon. I could never do math, but I sure could spell.

See, you are not alone in this!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

C. - what about the girl who gets hundreds of hits for talking about getting bleach on her black tshirt? Snooze fest.

K. - I think I'm freaking because I'll be in my mid-thirties, not early thirties anymore. I feel so much pressure because I'm not getting any younger and neither are my eggs. Maybe we should discuss this in email.

12:54 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Hits, schmits. Who gives a flying ... leap. You make me pee in my pants from laughing so hard, so don't you dare stop blogging!

As for turning 33 and having your 15th reunion approaching, I'm 4 years ahead of you and would gladly swap! We'll never be as young as we were. sigh

Spelling - I blame spell checkers. My spelling sucks now.

And with that, I'm off!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

One of the good things/responsible things I did was NOT get a dog when I was in New Orleans. I wanted one really bad but knew I didn't have time to give a dog the attention it would need. I know I would NOT have left my dog behind if I had one. I would have slept in my car if necessary and just made the 18 hour trip back to Omaha.
I have no idea about Jon Benet
I haven't ever had a duvet cover, but I did just have to slipcover my couch because of one naughty puppy. It constantly falls off. I think I'm goin to velcro it on. Not sure how that would work out with a duvet cover though... especially when you're sleeping.
and we all get dry spells in blogger purgatory.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Okay chick - it is unanimous that you cannot stop blogging. I have ready so many of your posts to my husband so we can both enjoy them. You crack me up.

We all have dry spells and no one ever thinks they are funny compared to others. I personally have missed your "musings".

As far as animals - I did cry. I bawled like a freakin baby watching the animals on the television. We both agreed we would have stayed, despite the danger to ourselves, if they wouldn't let us take our animals. That is just freakin bullshit.

Duvet covers - don't think so.

5:49 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

Yes, we can discuss in email. I'm pretty sure you & are on the same page with the whole eggs thing.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi cory--you dont know me, obviously, but i found your blog a few months ago and i really love it (i think it was thru motherless daughters). i live all the way over here in california, but its a bright spot in my day. and i just think, u should know that. peace out sista
<3

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been misspelling a lot too... but through transposing letters like an ammeter dyslexic. I think a lot of it has to do with the reliance of spell check… so I’ve become lazy.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Thanks, guys.

Jane - thanks for coming by. Do you have a blog?

Morton - MK will tell you that I'm dyslexic too.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Davenholl said...

Okay...soooo you feel old. Well I am four years older than you and my 17 year old son just asked me to help him hook up my old rotary dial (circa 1980)phone in his room! NOW THAT IS OLD!
By the way..who is JANE?
Also, I am on the EDGE of taking my blog off. I don't know, has the novelty wore off or what...

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to have one but i just got too lazy and had to cancel it after a month. i think id much rather read other people's

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I'm with the crowd, but I totally feel you. It's stress, but a particular type of stress that does this. Give yourself whatever time you need to decompress from whatever shit life has thrown at you and then dive back in. We'll still be here, waiting. It shouldn't feel like a chore! This is fun, remember?

1:07 AM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

Wow, I missed a lot! First off, don't consider 33 to be in your mid-30's...to me, it's still early thirties. 34-36...that's mid-30's. Don't make us older than we actually are yet.

Your eggs will be around for quite a few more years. If you ever need any insight into the world of fertility, I'm your girl! Me, I'm nowhere near done having kids...expect me to pop out at least 2 more if I am able to within the next 5 years. Our kids will play together and everything. It will be great!

If you ever stop blogging, I'll hunt you down. Don't even think about it. Nobody makes me want to pee my pants like you do! NOBODY!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home