Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Opposite of Fun

Once again I had to torture myself by carving a pumpkin using a stencil. You can't tell, but on the back is a cat and when lit it casts a shadow. In the middle of all this I started swearing and sweating (and stepped on a shard of broken glass) and said I'd never do it again. I'm oddly pleased by how the rats look like my sister's old guinea pig. I'll leave the question of whether or not I purchased a half-priced stencil book today unanswered.

Last night after our 13th trick or treater dressed up as him/herself, we instituted a new rule: "If you can't be bothered to dress up, we can't be bothered to give you a Snickers or Butterfinger. You will receive a Starburst instead."

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Heather!!! It looks like a tribute pumpkin.

G. said something about not giving the twenty-somethings any candy, if they weren't dressed up. I told him we had no choice...we had to or they would do bad things to us.

7:57 PM  
Blogger riddlebiddle said...

Er? I just came here to say 'you're so funny.' Only now I'm distracted by C's comment. Heather who? It's not like there are a trillion Heather's in the world or anything. This is an inside joke, yeah? I feel so ignorant. P.S. I miss you! Tell your mama and sis 'hey' for me!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Heather was Bridget's guinea pig. We always named our pets our favorite names - like Ashley the cat.

I miss you too!

10:58 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

You are such a brave woman! I let my pumpkins go 'natural' for Halloween rather than be mocked for my carving attempts!

3:55 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

a starburst is pretty harsh for not dressing up.

but a box of raisins would have been the ultimate punishment.

LOVING top chef!!!

i want to eat tom colicchio with a spoon!

5:10 PM  
Blogger riddlebiddle said...

oooh, raisins. i used to hate the crunchy granola people on our block who passed out raisins instead of candy. who's the hypocrite now? (vegan Heather sheepishly raises hand).

btw, i can't believe my mother named me after Bridget's guinea pig.

2:08 AM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

Dude, I am so bad at those stencil things. Johnny Appleseed kicks my ass every year!

C. - I'm with you on the giving older kids candy. I'm terrified of what they will do to our house if we don't. It's like being a hostage...for candy.

12:49 PM  
Blogger a. said...

What's up with the kids not saying "trick or treat" anymore...that's my rule, you'd better say something when you ring my bell!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home