Friday, July 29, 2005

You Say Potato

Since the day that we subscribed to Netflix a couple of months ago, Joe and I have disagreed about the pronunciation of the word “Queue.” I have no personal experience with this word, but I do know that English was always my strong subject. I am usually the one who people come to when they need a definition or want to know how to spell a word. I pronounce it “Quay.” Joe, whose strong subjects were advanced calculus and quantum physics, but who pronounces shallots “sha-lotts,” pronounces it “Cue.” One night I was talking to my sister on the phone and we were giving each other movie recommendations. I said “I’ll add that to my Quay.” She began laughing hysterically and said “No, no, no, it’s pronounced “Cue!” Joe, who was sitting next to me, caught wind of this and they started double teaming me with increasing levels of glee. Now I know how it feels to be the youngest of three kids who are tortured by the older ones. I began to panic and did the only thing I could think of. I yelled “I’M CALLING MOM!” and hung up on my sister.

I stand corrected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home