Thursday, December 01, 2005

God, I'm Old

Today I was talking to a coworker about a client who was misbehaving. I couldn’t come up with the right expression because “he was going off” is so 1990’s. She explained to me that “off the hook” means good and “off the chain” means bad. She was kind enough not to say that nobody even uses these expressions any longer. I constantly catch myself wanting to tell people that they’re “the bomb” when they do something nice for me. I looked at my younger cousins in bewilderment when they once said that a song was “sick”, but that the radio station had been “blowing it up.” I made the decision not to say “awesome” anymore awhile ago. I said it in the 80’s with the preface of “totally,” I said it by itself when it made a comeback in the 90’s, but now I can’t even hear it without cringing. I say “dude” and “peace out” for its comedic value, but is “cool” still acceptable for everyday use? Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, I realized that I sound like Andy Rooney writing about this. If you don’t know who that is, you’re not old enough to be reading my blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Hey Cory thanks for stopping by my blog :) HNT is Half Nekkid Thursday.. Go to this guys blog he started this whole thing.:)

http://osbasso.blogspot.com/

It's called Views from the Back Row.
just copy & paste this into your address bar at the top.

10:37 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Oh man, I would LOVE to see Andy Rooney cover this topic. I can just see his wrinkly old face as he says "And what's this about music being SICK? When I was a kid, no one wanted to be SICK. SICK was a BAD thing." I'm totally cracking up.

As for slang, I was bad at it even when I was young enough to know better. I warped back a generation and say that something is 'the bee's knees' or the 'cat's pajamas' and have a good laugh at everyone's puzzled expressions.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home