Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Why I Feel Old Part I in a Continuing Series

I’ve been absent mindedly singing a song in my head for the past week or so. It wasn’t until I watched Saturday Night Live this weekend that I learned it was sung by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland. I don’t know who Timbaland is, but his name is fun to say. (I know you just said it out loud.) The song’s title is “Promiscuous” and it’s from the album titled “Loose.” Hmmm. Let’s think about this for a minute. What message are we sending to our kids when they are hopefully learning how to be safe, yet are bombarded by images of free love and casual sex in every movie, advertisement, and in this case song? It makes me furious. I’ve picked out a few lines to share with you.

N: You expect me to let you just let you hit it?
But will you still respect me if you get it? {That would be a big, resounding NO that you hear Nelly.}

N: Promiscuous boy
You already know
That I’m all yours
What you waiting for?

T: Promiscuous girl
You're teasing me
You know what I want
And I got what you need {I know that men look for promiscuous women, but have they ever really sung about it?}

N: What kind of girl do you take me for? {This is just a guess, but a promiscuous one?}

T: It's okay, it's alright
I got something that you don't like {Yeah, it’s called the clap.}

You can click on the link to hear the song. I’ll be damned if it doesn’t make me want to dance every time I hear it despite the lyrics.

6 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

Ah, yes. I have this more & more often. I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I can't listen to my CDs when the kids are around....

2:33 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

I LOVE Nelly Furtado, but this song makes me feel like I need to take a shower...granted, I'm dancing in the shower, but nevertheless, I feel dirty when I hear it.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

I love you, Alicia.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to hear it - where's the link? Thank you...:0)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Just click on "Nelly Furtado." It should be lit up in green. If not, try www.nellyfurtado.com.

7:35 AM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

Ramer - how funny that you mention Milkshake because I was thinking of that song two seconds before I read your post. PS: I live in the TB area too!

Cory - I love you too. More than words could ever convey.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home