Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Reliving This Makes Me Itchy

Last night I attempted to make quesadillas, which is standard fare around here. I pulled out the sandwich press/waffle iron/panini maker thing we got as a gift. It has interchangeable plates that are removed to clean. Or not clean in this case. It turns out that melted cheese does not come off in the dishwasher, and it turns out that roaches enjoy dining on the cheese when the plates aren't checked for cleanliness when they're put away. I noticed the two roaches the size of my hand clinging to the plates while I was walking through the kitchen. I screamed so loudly that my throat still hurts and I threw the plates into the sink from a distance of five feet away.

I know this is Florida which is a popular excuse, but I don't have roaches. I don't have them because I won't accept them. The house simply isn't big enough to live with the knowledge that they're running around free in the next room.

I thought this coming weekend would be free. I now suspect that a large part of it will be spent spraying for roaches, taking everything I own out of the kitchen cabinets and rewashing it, and taking long baths in Clorox.

8 Comments:

Blogger Melody said...

I am in total agreement. I lived in Phoenix for several years and they are common there and extra large. I too would not allow it.

An exterminator once told me something that freaks me out to this day....

if you see a roach in your house - it is because they have been pushed out of the walls due to overcrowding!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Blllllleeeeeeccckkk! Bleck! Bleck!

Boric (sp?) acid is the answer. When we lived in the dorms/apt. and couldn't get our own pest control company (which, in my life, is a must...before health insurance, mortagage payments, food...anything), that's what we used. Sprinkle it in every cabinet, every little hole, in your hair, everywhere. It never hurt kitty-my-love, but do a seach to make sure...although the cats wouldn't get to it in the cabinets (fridge, yes, cabinets, no).

I have to clean my counters off with clorox every morning, because I'm that paranoid that something creepy and crawly might have been on them while I was sleeping. Never mind my pest control man almost sleeps at my house. I have to go tent my house now just thinking about all the gross things.

8:24 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

I am still shuddering. Bugs give me problems, but roaches give me creeping skin! We used to live in a basement apartment and I learned the hard way to always shake out my clothes and shoes before putting them on. UGH!

4:50 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

These must have been desperate roaches. I mean, cheese that has been through the dishwasher?? Is it even still considered cheese if it has burned and then been washed? Hopefully roaches travel in pairs like rats and you got them.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

mk - I'm going to choose to live in denial re: my walls being full of roaches. (gag) I don't know if I can sleep tonight.

Christine - sank you for the tip.

Barbara - I feel your pain. I once slipped on a shoe and stepped on a volkswagon-sized roach while living in an apartment.

Kasey - that was reassuring. I know you share my disgust for all things dirty.

8:46 PM  
Blogger TL said...

Roaches... ahhh brings back memories of growing up in the projects of The Bronx.

Roaches I can deal with, but there are some hardcore bugs out here in LA that give me the heebee jeebees! Like the spiders-are-so-big-you-can-see their-fangs-heebee-jeebees...

Okay, now I'm freaking out ;p

12:03 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

THank you, Cory, for starting off my day with the VW sized roach in the shoe story.

I'm going barefoot all day.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

But yours weren't discovered scampering across the floor when the light came on....they were on a specific mission (and failed I might add).

Sleep tight.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home