Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Misplaced Priorities

I should have paid attention during high school English. I know that someone shakes his/her head each time he/she reads my writing, what with all the dangling participles, comma splices, and the way I change tenses. Ok, if we're being honest, I don't even know what a dangling participle or a comma splice is.

Writing properly is obviously not nearly as important to me as constantly correcting people's grammar in my head. I vs. Me, He vs. Him, See, Saw, Seen. Trust me, I've got a mental red pen and I'm always using it. No one is exempt.

Today we received a lovely anniversary gift. It's something personalized, and so thoughtful. The only problem is that it says "The Lastname's." INAPPROPRIATE APOSTROPHE USE! Instead of feeling nothing but grateful and deeply touched, half of me kept thinking it's supposed to be "The Lastnames," "THE LASTNAMES!" I found myself tearing through the packaging trying to find the manufacturer's information so I could order a replacement without an apostrophe. I stopped myself when I realized that the giver may come to my house one day and see it and say "Hey, it's missing the apostrophe I ordered. That's just not right, I'm going to have to contact the manufacturer."

Thank you for the beautiful gift. If anyone else is in the giving mood, therapy and a grammar class are on my wish list.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

OMG, my blog must drive you crazy with the red pen! I can't spell and still can't fugure out when to use to or too! They sound the same, what's the difference?
Whenever you stop by, just look at the pictures and ignore my words.

12:40 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

You've got me cracking up. This also drives me crazy. Here in Holland, the correct way to make a word plural is to use an apostrophe, and even though it's correct in Dutch it STILL makes me wild! Maybe if enough people pitch in for your therapy, you'd have a couple of sessions leftover that I could use....

3:15 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

If it helps you any, I pushed so hard when having E. that I ended up with a dangling participle.

Too much info for a blog, I know.

8:15 AM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

I'm laughing so hard from Christine's comment that my mind just went blank on what I was going to say!!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

LOL ROFL!! Too funny.

Happy Anniversary Sour....

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home