Tuesday, February 21, 2006

There's a Piece of Duct Tape on the Bottom of my Foot, But What's New With You?

Ok, this is hard to admit. I have 3 plantars warts on the bottom of my right foot. The fact that I have warts on my body at all freaks me out so badly that I’m ready to gnaw off my diseased foot like a hamster. I’m thinking I got them when I started getting pedicures on a regular basis. I had one when I was 12 and on the swim team. When it was removed there was a lot of pain and bleeding and crying involved.

I decided to take care of this embarrassing problem last week. First I went to my primary care physician. She said “Yeah…I can’t do anything for those. You can take something over the counter or go to a podiatrist.” That visit cost $20.00.

Yesterday I went to the podiatrist and he said that I could take something over the counter, have them cut out, use liquid nitrogen which would take several visits, or put a piece of duct tape over them for a week at a time and file off the dead skin each time I changed the tape. That visit cost $20.00.

I’ve decided to go with the duct tape treatment. I spent $40.00 to learn that the cure was sitting on a shelf in my garage the whole time, and I learned that it’s true that you can use duct tape for absolutely everything.

10 Comments:

Blogger A. Gator said...

Interesting!!! I once had a wart on my finger...believe it or not, I ripped it off and it never grew back.

Gross, but true!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priceless. This is like the redneck version of the Windex cure-all. Keep us posted on the progress...

11:59 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

wow.

let's hope alicia doesn't ever post a link to your blog by your name on the high school website.

4:09 PM  
Blogger T said...

Ok - as gross as this is- take liver pills... my brother had planters warts when he was a kid... he went through the meds, the freezing, nothing made them go away. But liver pills from the vitamin isle- got rid of them in a week or two. Good luck with that ;)...

11:19 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Oddly enough I have a friend who did the same thing. I thought she was making it up, but apparently it's true.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Okay - this is going to sound gross - but I swear by it. I thought the lady that told me this years ago was nuts - but it worked.

Are you ready?


Pee in the shower.

Seriously.

There is something about the acid or whatever in your urine that gets rid of these things.

I did this ten years ago when I had my first one and have never had one since.

Yes, that means I still pee in the shower. You all know something about me my husband probably doesn't even know.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I think you should rub salt on your ass - will that remove the warts?? Probably not, but what the heck at least your ass will be smooth as a baby's!!!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Wow. I have learned so much since announcing to the world that I have warts. Thank you everyone!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is like a public service. I currently have a wart on my foot as well, and you know what's been added to my shopping list? Liver pills and duct tape!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a podiatrist, I can tell you warts are my LEAST favorite things to treat. Treatments either take way too long, are way too painful, and oftentimes don't work for everybody.

As for peeing in the shower, you're on to something, but there's a more socially acceptable way of doing the same thing. Urea, a major constituent of urine, is what we call a "keratolytic," meaning it breaks down calluses. Callus build-up over warts is a major hinderance to effective treatment.

Fortunately, you can get urea in a 40% cream and apply it directly to your feet. Most brands do not produce a tell-tale odor, but some do.

Of course, this stuff is prescription, and expensive. So you can save money by keeping your little shower secret and continuing to have baby-soft skin on your feet that is the envy of all you friends ;^)

This is my first time blogging. What fun!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home