Monday, February 20, 2006

Dear Lord, Please Give Me The Strength To Not Kill Someone Today

It has been at least 11 years since I have lived in a home with a family. You know, the kind of family who yells from room to room, from downstairs to upstairs that dinner’s ready, that you need help finding your shoes before school, etc. I have been living with roommates, by myself, and with my husband who I have never known to even raise his voice.

I hadn’t even noticed how quiet my life was until recently. I work in a pretty small office full of people who live with their families and more than likely yell to each other from different parts of their houses, which is totally normal. Somehow, this has become acceptable behavior for the workplace. It’s not ok to yell at me to come over to your office. It’s not ok to yell to someone that they have a phone call when we have an intercom system. It’s definitely not ok to yell while standing behind my chair when I am on the phone. I can’t take it anymore. Let’s just pretend to be professionals. We’ll play dress up, and type on a computer, and go to a restaurant for lunch, and we’ll talk with our inside voices. Just for one day. Come on, it’ll be fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger A. Gator said...

Now I remember why I REALLY love working from home so much!!!

Maybe it's time for a "staff meeting" - nip some of this shit in the bud before you go postal on someone.

Have a sunshine day! Love you!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. And can relate. Oh, can I relate. God, I miss working from home.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home