Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Well, I'll Be Damned

My job requires me to spend long periods of the day in other people's homes. Through this arrangement I get to hear/watch/allow myself to be distracted by some ordinarily non-preferred TV shows. I'm current on all the comings and goings of As The World Turns, which I haven't watched in 15 years. I watch way too much Dr. Phil, and if I never see another court show, it will be far too soon.

Maury Povich has sunk to new depths. Was he once a respected journalist, or was that something I dreamed up? If you're not watching his show, he specializes in paternity testing. It's all very dramatic in a Jerry-Springer-Rikki-Lake-I'm-not-your-baby's-daddy-fist-fight sort of way. Today there was a woman who told her tale of giving up a baby 22 years ago because she was homeless, etc. A family member ran into the long lost daughter and said "you look like so and so." The daughter told the family member that she was adopted and her birthday was ____. Of course it was the exact same day that the woman gave her baby up for adoption.

The tears started flowing before the test results were even announced. When it was determined that the long lost daughter was indeed the woman's, I had to excuse myself from the room. The fact that a Maury Povich episode touched me makes me loathe myself in new and different ways. I can't even blame this on PMS.

8 Comments:

Blogger Davenholl said...

Wow, maybe a vacation from your job is in order??
Too funny!!!

6:37 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

Blame PMS anyway. I have always wondered how Connie Chung ended up with that guy. Wasn't she the respected journalist?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Blogs aren't for confessing everything, yo.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what you do for a living!!!

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've tried several times to respond to this post and i can't get past the thought "she watched maury povich and it brought her to tears"

i think condolences are in order.

i too am stumped by your occupation.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I write and implement behavior modification programs for adults with developmental disabilities. I also watch lots of trashy TV.

8:45 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

Cory's lying. She's really a producer for the Maury Povich Show. If you've got a really fucked up story, she's the go-to girl to get on the show. ;)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

Wow...thanks for solving the job mystery. I used to write behavior modification plans for my students back when I was a teacher - I always wondered what happened to them when they grow up!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home