Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Further Evidence That I Married My Father

(And that makes me feel kinda icky on the inside.)

While growing up, my dad pretended to hate all of our pets. The cat we've had the longest (18 yrs.) still lives with him. Initially, he told everyone that my sister and I left her there when we went to college, and "oh-damned-cat-how-I-hate-her" became his mantra. This cat has it pretty good for being so hated. She eats nothing but Science Diet food, which requires him to drive 30 minutes to buy. She sleeps in his bed and they cuddle while watching TV each night.

I've had my cats for 9 years now. When Joe and I first discussed living together, I said "what about the cats?" I was prepared to give the "we're a package deal" speech, but didn't have to because he said "they can come too." No problem, I thought.

Joe can't be in the same room as a hairball. They literally make him sick (with good reason). The cats are furry, they shed like mad, the litter box stinks, they're loud, and I really think he comes from the school of thought that real men only like dogs.

When I got home today, I guess I opened the front door quietly or too quickly, because I caught him lying on the couch with one of the cats. She may have even been touching him. I yelled "busted!" and haven't been able to stop laughing since. He's never going to live this one down.

9 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

my husband hates my dogs, but I have caught him a few times "patting them on the head".

10:32 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

very funny! it had to be a cute sight to see.

11:23 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

LOL! Next time, get photos!

3:49 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

When I first read this I thought it said you had 9 cats!

I was mixed with emotion. Impressed that Joe agreed to live with 9 cats and worried that you were the beginning of one of those old ladies who they find dead at 80 with 124 cats roaming around.

Gravy - gravity. Nine years - nine cats. I think we both need our eyes checked.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Ha! I love it! He is so busted! Please tell Joe i'm never going to look at him the same.

All the men in my life have become cat lovers too. Same story w/my dad and my cat (RIP kitty-my-love). G. actually tells people when they visit, "I hate cats...but I really like her."

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok... i was going to say i love you after your britney post. but i thought it was too soon.

we really didn't know each other. it would have been awkward.

but you've said it first. it's out there. and you can't take it back!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Davenholl said...

Yeah, my husband "hates" the cats here too. He pretends to at least. One time I actually caught him holding one of our "boys" and he defended himself by saying he was just checking its eyeball. Yeah, Ill buy that one!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

It must be hard work to be a man and have to remember all the rules of manhood.

8:28 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

My dad is the same way...he always said that the only good cat was a dead one, but now he has 3 cats and treats them better than he treats his own children. For real.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home