Monday, September 11, 2006

I Still Have The Skeeves

Because I like to believe that I'm more sophisticated than I really am, I chose a fancy-pants restaurant for my birfday dinner.

Because I like to throw away hard-earned money, I ordered the tasting menu (7 courses of pretentious, small portions of food).

Because I like to please others, I consumed FOIE GRAS-INFUSED STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM. I put it in my mouth and swallowed it. I really did.

I don't know if it was supposed to cleanse my palate like sorbet, but whatever. I have very specific food rules: no veal, no tuna from companies who kill dolphins, and no liver from a goose who was force fed to death.

Lesson learned. Just because it's expensive, just because your waiter looks and talks exactly like Stephen from Top Chef, and just because the restaurant is critically acclaimed does not mean it's good. Next year will more than likely find me at Applebee's eating baby back ribs.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Melody said...

That's what I'm talking 'bout.

5:21 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

I have the skeeves just reading about it. I have to aks you one question:
What in the hell did Joe eat?

7:47 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

He had fish and the weirdest thing he tried was pheasant.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I second kasey, if you thought it was weird...Joe must have been ready to run!

One of my MANY food rules (like no dairy and alcohol combined...which went out the window when I discovered chocolate martinis), is no foie gras ice cream. Yep. It's not one I speak of often, but I firmly believe it's a no-no.

Not even to cleanse my palate. I'll take some lime sorbet for that please. Which, now that I think of, I have not been to a palate cleansing restaurant since I was living w/my parents (we actually went to a few like that and they had the nice little finger bowls too...no shit). Chick-fil-a doesn't usually care if my palate is cleansed or not.

8:07 PM  
Blogger MysteryGirl said...

She is SO right. I think you are still warped by the summer sun.

10:23 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Yikes! See you at Applebees!!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i gagged a little just then!

and so glad you mentioned Top Chef, I saw the commercial for the new season while watching Project Runway last week.

i'm living in total anticipation.

and i am well aware that this makes me COMPLETELY lame.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm an ass!

i was so distracted by the foie gras that the fact that it was your birthday dinner slipped right by!

when exactly WAS your birthday? did i miss it?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Jen - you would have died looking at the waiter. He had the same rosy cheeks and shit-eating grin on his face. Same tone of voice and he kept talking about what regions the wine came from. New Top Chef in Oct.!

My bday was on the 7th.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! At least it will be one you remember for years to come...

In regards to the ice cream, I think I would have tried it. I love Foie-gras and I love strawberry ice cream...but how do you infuse flavor into something?? I know how to infuse vodka, but I'm lost on this one. Please tell us what fancy-pants place this was...I'm dying to know.

And Stephen from Top Chef drove me crazy with all his babble, who will we hate this coming season??

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Thanks, Mary.

http://www.matthewsrestaurant.com

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home