Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Don't Tell Me It's An Urban Myth

Christine and I have been talking about the evil Southern delicacy known as red velvet cake a lot more than usual lately, being the Christmas season and all. It is evil because while we love the cream cheese icing (it's the only reason I eat carrot cake), so much red food coloring goes into one that it makes us uneasy. Today she was researching recipes since it's her husband's favorite, and she discovered that it calls for 1 oz. of red dye. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it equates to 4 small bottles or 1 very large bottle. When she read that she said "I'm going to make it anyway and just leave out the red dye. And I'll call it 'cake'."

Just what the hell is red dye made of anyway? It can't be anything good if people are allergic to it. And what is this fear of ours? We certainly aren't health food nuts as we injest plenty of preservatives and additives and macaroni and cheese every day. We discussed these points and then it came to her. She said "We are the red m&m generation." Red stuff is bad in our minds because we ate red m&m's when we were very young, then they were suddenly taken away because someone died from them. Remember how scary that was? This, along with other important things happened during very formative years. I still don't eat red m&m's, swim in the ocean (Jaws), or eat Pop Rocks candy while drinking soda. I wouldn't want to end up like that kid from the Life cereal commercials you know.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

I heard that that alligator that lives in the NY sewer system was okay till it ate pop rocks, and it was instant addiction. To fill the need, it started going for pop rocks in any form ... but it developed a special liking for the pop-rocks-in-a-kid form .... I hope no one gives it any red dye.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok ... I am an avid fan of your blog and Christine's ... but this red dye stuff. You two scare me. Eat the damn red velvet cake already. Now, if we were from the same generation - I could scare you with my pot smoking stories!! Hmmmmm... maybe it is time to start my own blog. I think I'll call it .. I'M GOING TO BE 49 FOREVER.. GOD DAMN IT.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

Gagi - please start your own blog. Then you will have an open forum to tell stories about what dorks Christine and I were in 8th grade with our fedora hats. I'm still not eating the red velvet cake.

10:56 AM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

You and Christine wore fedoras in the 8th grade?!? Man, if I'd have known you then, we might not be friends.

Actually, John Taylor from my favorite band in the world wore fedoras back then, so maybe you would have gotten my okay. Just maybe.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

What the freak? Pot smoking? I beg you, sister of mine, start a blog! You could write about the times you chased me through the house trying to brush my rat-nest hair.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home