Friday, January 06, 2006

Ancestors are Rolling in Their Graves as I Write This

I was born into a long line of Southern women who can co-ok. Yes, cook so well that it's worthy of two syllables. These were and are women who canned their own produce, cooked entire meals without a single measuring cup or spoon, and who would come in at lunchtime from working in the fields and prepare an entire dinner plus a cake.

All of this stopped at my generation. Sure, some of us do cook, but others fight over who gets to bring soda and rolls and paper plates to family dinners.

Biscuits are one of my favorite breakfast foods, but I don't make them because I'm intimidated by anything that has to be made in a "well of flour." I'd rather take a calculus test than try to figure out exactly how much flour goes into the goo, then what to to with the leftover flour well. Do you save it? For the next day? Anyway, I have discovered Publix brand frozen biscuits and my life has improved 10 fold. These are nothing like those disgusting psuedo canned biscuits. These are light and fluffy and I may not be able to tell the difference between them and homemade in a blind taste test. I pop one in the oven before I get in the shower, I slather it with preserves canned by my great aunt, pack it in my purse, then eat it on the way to work. I inhale it in two bites, and then I cry a little. I cry because it was so delicious, and because I didn't make three extras.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Calculus? Hell, I'll go so far as to learn my multiplication tables if it means I can have some of your mom's fried chicken, biscuits and sweet tea. Well worth finally learning what 9x7 equals.

1:27 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

I remember being mystified by that 'well of flour' bit, too. The good part about dropping your eggs and gooey stuff in the well of flour is that you don't have to dirty dishes - you just squish it all together on your countertop. I hate washing dishes, so I finally gave it a try (with homemade pasta) and it wasn't hard at all. Amazing!

4:35 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

I'm right there with you honey! My specialties include macaroni & cheese (from a box), spaghetti & meatballs (meatballs bought at Publix), eggwhite omelettes, and ramen noodles. If not for pre-made foods, I'd never eat.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, if you can find them, you must get you some Mary B's biscuits from the frozen food section. They are pure bliss (though nothing compared to your mama's).

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home