Thursday, January 05, 2006

I've Sunk to New Lows

Behold my reading material for the plane trip home:


I could blame it on the poor book selection at the little grocery store in Waynesboro, PA, but really the truth is that sometimes I need the trash. I make no excuses for my trashy TV consumption, but I thought my standards were higher in literature. I guess not. Due to my love of lists and my self absorption, I've included the list of books I've read this year (that I can remember). Can you tell I'm influenced by the popular media, attractive covers, Oprah, and what's available available in dollar stores and clearance racks? The books with asterisks are the only ones I can recommend with a clear conscience.

1. Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
2. Citizen Girl by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus
3. What No One Tells the Bride by Marg Stark
4. At Home in the World by Joyce Maynard
5. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
6. The Camera My Mother Gave Me by Susanna Kaysen
7. The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson*
8. Ash Wednesday by Ethan Hawke
9. Another Song About the King by Kathryn Stern
10. The Summer of Us by Holly Chamberlin
11. Carousel of Progress by Katherine Tanney
12. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult*
13. Everything About Me is Fake…And I’m Perfect by Janice Dickinson
14. Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins
15. Dry by Augusten Burroughs*
16. Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller*
17. Accidental Happiness by Jean Reynolds Page*
18. The Other Man: A Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr., Carolyn Bessette and Me by Michael Bergin
19. One Small Thing by Jessica Barksdale Inclan
20. Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson by Keith Ablow
21. We Thought You Would by Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro
22. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey*
23. The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg*
24. What Remains by Carole Radziwill*
25. My Friend Leonard by James Frey*
26. Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
27. Weird Florida by Charlie Carlson
28. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin*
29. PostSecret : Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives by Frank Warren*
30. Something Blue by Emily Giffin*
31. Prep by Curtis Sittenfield
32. Good Grief by Lolly Winston
33. All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve
34. Star by Pamela Anderson
35. Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman

If I made New Year's resolutions, one would probably be to produce a less embarrassing reading list in the coming year.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your copious reading shames me - cheap and tawdry or no. Mine reads something like this: Chapter 1 of random textbook, Glamour magazine, Cosmo magazine, your blog, PostSecret (but only cause you bought it for me). I wish I were kiding.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Yeaaaa! Cory's back.

You're doing pretty well. I think I read two books this past year (this from a former book reading addict), one of which was The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears. Now that's embarrassing.

12:50 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

At least you read! I know a number of people who couldn't put together a list that long if they included everything from the past 5 years.

But, really, I guess that says a lot more about me than about them .... Hm. I better shut up.

12:59 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

Man, and I thought I loved ME some trash!!!! Then again, you've got some pretty solid reads in there as well. I don't think I'd have any astericks after any of the books I read in 2005.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Welcome back Consuela!!

Put me down for Star magazine. I need to know if Jessica and Nick are on or off this week. And if Angelina is carrying a demon child and if dumber than shit Tom Cruise is going to replace Oprah's yellow sofa after the stupid ass got his shoe prints all over it. Now that's some readin gals!!!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

My favorite book find in an airport - Fast Food Nation I haven't touched McD's, or anybody else for that matter, since.

I hope you had a great trip!

11:36 PM  
Blogger T said...

ok - I so have you beat.... my most recent literary purchase? The single girls manifesta.... tuley pathetic (although in truth bought soley for it's "make fun of" value).

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wish I could spell. Cory, how could you allow me to post messages with such bad grammar?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Heather - their is know spellcheck in the coments. And that is unfortanute fourr al of us.

8:54 PM  
Blogger T said...

ps... a big thanks - and I am addicted to your blog- woman you make me lmao! ;)

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home