Wednesday, January 11, 2006

BUNKO!!!

From time to time I have moments where I realize that I truly am a grown up. An adult even. These incidents knock the wind out of me and usually come in the most random forms. Graduating college and getting a job? Eh. Paying a mortgage? Ok. Getting married? Yeah, I guess so. The things I'm talking about are more like when I get offended by how racy cartoons or prime time TV are, hearing that they're releasing a 20th anniversary edition of Ferris Bueller's Day Off on DVD, or when I think about how old Christine's children are going to be on their next birthdays.

My latest exploit to make me feel all funny inside my tummy is joining a Bunko group. I'm not even sure what the hell Bunko is. I just remember that it's played with dice and that it's what my mom played when I was a kid. For years she hosted it in the summertime and these nights were marked by my father dragging the big TV upstairs to Bridget's and my room, turning on the actual air conditioner*, being forbidden to touch any of the delectable food laid out, and being banished to our room until the last crazy lady left. There was lots of laughter and hoots and hollers and yelling of BUNKO!!! followed by more laughter. Each time this happened, my dad, Bridget, and I would just give each other quizzical looks and shake our heads.

Tonight I will join the ranks of these women screaming their fool heads off while someone's family asks each other "what the fuck?" from the far reaches of the house. It could be worse I guess, at least it's not bridge. Or Mah Jong for that matter.

*Can you believe I grew up with a man who refused to turn on the air conditioner in Florida in the summer and now I'm married to a man who refuses to turn on the heat when there is a hard freeze outside?

***
The funniest thing I heard today was when a coworker told me that there was a sale at Victoria Secretes. Ha ha ha. Maybe I'm the last to hear that one.

***

I make no bones about being a member of Team Anniston and felt personally hurt today when I learned that the black widow is indeed pregnant. Hopefully with hundreds of spider babies. Further proof that the tabloids are always right.

6 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

When you figure out what the hell Bunko is, clue me in! I'm hopeless with games. And songs. And those bits of poetry everyone else seems to know by heart.

You know, come to think of it, it's a good thing I'm something of a wallflower. I don't actually understand a bit of what's going on around me.

5:02 PM  
Blogger A. Gator said...

I am a proud member of Team Aniston too!!! The whole situation is just not right. Makes me sick. I hope Brad lives to regret his actions.

7:07 PM  
Blogger T said...

Did you survive the Bunko Noght? I spit out part of my burrito laughing at the Curves comment by the way. My dog thanks you for the extra treat.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

My stomach hurts over the whole Brangelina thing...as if I were Jennifer!

How was bunko? When I went this summer (haven't been able to go back b/c of the baby), it was actually fun and I can't stand games. Very little math involved, other than a little counting, so I was great.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Bunko!! Wasn't that some kind of Police shorthand back in the olden days??

1:13 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Bunko was so fun. The first two hours consisted of drinking wine and eating snacks, then the last 30 minutes were devoted to playing the game and arguing about how it should be played. I'll be back.

Barbara - I can only compare it to Yahtzee, though not as in depth.

Verification word: wbpeoe. It's what I said last night after I won a Village People CD as a boobie prize.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home